The people of Sabha welcomed the Libyan National Army’s (LNA) operation to liberate their city from terrorist groups, though they stressed their rejection to all violations that took place during the operation.
Libyan political expert Idris Abdel Rahim told 218News on Sunday that Sabha has become more stable and the people are waiting for more security and military measures so that they can feel safe that will result in resuming services and products supply that have been missing for some time.
He noted Sabha is large city, however, the LNA would not face any difficulty in securing the region.
Abdel Rahim called on the military to hold accountable those who could spoil the security operation in Sabha.
Earlier this month, the LNA launched an operation to liberate southern Libya from terrorist groups. The spokesperson for the General Command of the LNA, Ahmed Al-Mismari, said in a press conference the operation aims to maintain the country’s unity, secure its resources, protect Libya’s north-eastern oil crescent from terrorists attacks, deliver humanitarian aid to southern citizens, and counter crimes as well as illegal immigration.
He called on southern citizens to stay away from terrorist hotbeds in Sabha and the surrounding region to avoid any harm.
The LNA spokesperson assured the public that the armed forces will not harm their possessions while carrying out the operation.
Southern Libya has suffered from continuous instability and inequitable distribution of economic resources due to the collapse of state institutions since the eruption of the 2011 uprising, a situation exploited by many terrorist groups to carve in the south their footholds.