Former Italian Interior Minister Marco Minghetti warned Saturday of the consequences of the civil war in Libya, which would escalate the crisis of illegal immigration to Italy.
During his interview with Il Mattino, an Italian daily newspaper, he said that Eni, an Italian multinational oil and gas company, has incurred losses due to the tension that Tripoli has witnessed since April 4 between the eastern Libyan National Army (LNA) and Tripoli-based the Government of the National Accord (GNA).
His statement comes a few days after Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said he is considering a visit to Libya to meet with the warring factions and try to put an end to the military escalation.
Conte said Italy is concerned about armed groups in Libya that might exploit the lack of security to cross the Mediterranean and enter Italy, noting that this risk also threatens the other European countries.
Previously, the Italian prime minister warned of the mounting humanitarian crisis in Libya as the war, which began on April 4, forced 8,000 people to flee their homes, killed 205 people and wounded 913 others.