LibyaPolitics

Italian PM affirms Rome’s stance against Tripoli violence

Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte affirmed his country’s stance against the military operation on Tripoli by the Libyan National Army (LNA) Commander Khalifa Hafter since the beginning of April.

During a Friday phone call with head of the Presidency Council (PC) Faiez al-Sarraj, Conte said there is no military solution for the conflict in Libya, stressing the necessity of halting all fighting inside the capital.

Sarraj expressed his relief with the “Italian government’s clear and direct position” on the escalations. He added that the Government of National Accord forces will defend Tripoli “strongly.”

Last week, Conte said he was considering a visit to Libya to meet with the warring factions and try to put an end to the military escalation.

The United Nations Envoy to Libya Ghassan Salame; however, traveled to Rome on Wednesday, met with Conte and other Italian officials and discussed the political escalations with them.

Since the beginning of the military operation in the western region, Italy has expressed its concern over the consequences of the civil war in Libya, which would escalate the crisis of illegal immigration to Italy.

Previously, Conte said armed groups in Libya might exploit the lack of security to cross the Mediterranean and enter Italy, noting that this risk also threatens the other European countries.

The crisis has forced 8,000 people to flee their homes, killed 254 people and wounded 1228 others, according to the World Health Organization.

Tags

Related Articles