More than 45,000 people have been displaced from their homes in areas of clashes in Tripoli, Stephane Dujarric, spokesperson for the U.N. Secretary-General said Thursday.
“The armed clashes and indiscriminate shelling limit the ability of humanitarian actors to evacuate civilians and provide the necessary assistance, as well as the ability of civilians to move freely,” Dujarric added.
Earlier in April, the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said 35,000 people have been displaced from Tripoli and the surrounding areas due to armed clashes, in an update on the situation.
The United Nations called upon all parties to the Libyan conflict to ensure that civilians and civilian infrastructure, including medical personnel and facilities, are not targeted.
As the armed conflict in Tripoli continues into its fourth week, the victim toll reached 376 dead (23 civilians) and 1,822 wounded (79 civilians), according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
The WHO has joined the U.N. OCHA and other groups in calling for an immediate ceasefire in Tripoli.
On April 4, the Libyan National Army, led by Khalifa Haftar, advanced on the capital, where it is battling armed groups allied with the U.N.-backed government.