Tunisia is following closely the possible arrival of foreign fighters from Syria and Iraq to Libya, said Tunisian Foreign Minister Khemaies Friday.
At a joint press conference with the High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Federica Mogherini, Jhinaoui called for a ceasefire in Libya, saying the number of foreign fighters inside Libya is still unknown.
“It is becoming clear to everyone that a military solution cannot replace a political one, and that it is high time now to return to the negotiating table,” Jhinaoui said.
The Libyan National Army, led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, launched an offensive on Tripoli last month. His force, based in eastern Libya, is battling rival militias loosely allied with the UN-recognized government in the capital, Tripoli.
Last week, the EU called “on all parties to immediately implement a cease-fire and to engage with the United Nations to ensure a full and comprehensive cessation of hostilities.”
“Indiscriminate attacks on densely populated residential areas may amount to war crimes and those responsible should be held to account,” the EU announced.