Human Rights Watch called on Friday upon the Libyan Interim Government to exert serious efforts to secure the release of Libyan parliamentarian Siham Sergiwa.
In a statement, the organisation said Interior Minister Ibrahim Boshnaf’s accusing terrorist groups of abducting Sergiwa contradicts with her relatives’ briefings.
“Blaming the kidnapping of an outspoken sitting member of parliament on unidentified terrorists will not identify Sergiwa’s location and the authorities should make serious efforts to identify the abductees and her location and protect her family,” said Eric Goldstein, Deputy Director of the Middle East and North Africa division at Human Rights Watch.
He added that top Libyan officials could be held accountable before international prosecution if they did not take a serious action to put an end to these violations.
It has been four weeks since Sergiwa was abducted on 17 July with her whereabouts unknown.
Previously, head of the Security Information Office at the Interior Ministry of the Libyan Interim Government, Tareq al-Kharraz, told 218 News that Benghazi authorities are doing all needed efforts to reach details regarding the abduction and to confirm if the MP is still alive.
He explained that there is much information missing regarding Sergiwa disappearance and that there are contradictions in the statements of the MP’s family and friends regarding the incident.