The media office of the Head of the Presidential Council of the Government of National Accord, Fayez Al-Sarraj, made a statement – as the so-called Commander-in-Chief of the Libyan Army – saying that what he described as “the Libyan Army Forces”; GNA forces and supporting forces, carried out their missions Wednesday with efficiency and competence as part of Operation “Peace Storm.”
Al-Sarraj said that he had previously confirmed that his forces “will respond to the ongoing violations of the truce,” adding: “I have issued orders to respond forcefully to repeated terrorist attacks on civilians.”
In his statement, Al-Sarraj renewed that his government “is legitimate and respects its obligations towards the international community, but is committed before that to its people and has a duty to protect Libyans within the framework of the right to legitimate self-defense and within the limits of international law.”
Al-Sarraj renewed his accusations to the Libyan National Army of what he considered: “The systematic bombing of residential neighborhoods in Tripoli” saying it did not stop during the truce and caused civilian casualties, including children and women.
He indicated that Operation Peace Storm that was launched Wednesday was a response to the victims of “terrorist militia operations and mercenary terrorists.”
“We will respond forcefully to the sources of any aggression against us.” The Head of the Presidential Council added.
It is noteworthy that Major General Ahmed Al-Mismari, the official spokesman of the General Commander of the Libyan National Army, Khalifa Haftar, said Wednesday that the “armed forces” of the National Army were attacked in what he described as futile and stupid attempt launched by GNA forces on Al-Watiya airbase, adding that the Libyan National Army forces foiled then attack of GNA forces.