Warfalla-brokered ceasefire succeeds, militias withdraw

Normal life resumed in southern Tripoli as the Warfalla-brokered ceasefire agreement enters into force with the withdrawal of fighting militias from Greater Tripoli and Tarhuna town on Wednesday. All roads were reopened and sand blocks were removed.

Head of the Social Council of Tarhuna, Saleh al-Fandi, said, after the signing of the ceasefire agreement on Tuesday, all parties must abide by the agreement, stressing that armored military vehicles will be withdrawn and all roads will be secured.

Tarhuna approved the agreement only one day after the Tripoli Elders Committee signed the agreement following great reconciliation efforts exerted by the Social Council of Warfalla Tribe over two consecutive days.

The agreement stipulated an immediate ceasefire and withdrawal of fighting militia to 15 km from Greater Tripoli and Tarhuna boundaries.

The vacated areas will be secured by the General Directorate of Central Security affiliated to the Government of National Accord (GNA).

The fighting militias will exchange prisoners and bodies and allow the displaced families to return home.

A ceasefire implementation committee will be formed to monitor the ceasefire.

The agreement also prescribes that both militias would not receive any social support or cover for any infringements. The media was also urged to refrain from inciting any violence or confrontation.

Heavy clashes have gripped the southern region of the Libyan capital since mid-January despite a truce deal four months ago that had halted deadly battles in the city.

The fighting militias, linked to the GNA, are the 7th Brigade and Tripoli Protection Force.

Since its arrival in Tripoli in March 2016, the GNA has had to rely on militia groups because it lacks an organized military force. However, the GNA’s control over these militias appears limited.

However, the internationally-recognized government in Tripoli, backed by the United Nations, has been working on a new security plan since the previous ceasefire deal in August 2018 but achieved little as Libya lacks a unified national police force or army.

Dozens have been killed and injured due to the clashes in southern parts of the capital, according to the Health Ministry.


Related Articles