General Khaled Mahjoub, spokesperson for Operation Karama of the Libyan National Army (LNA) denied Saturday halting the military campaign in Tripoli.
He told Sputnik News the LNA General Command didn’t issue any new orders regarding the ongoing fighting.
Mahjoub‘s statements come after rumors on social media claimed the military operation in Tripoli has been halted.
The spokesperson added that the LNA forces have taken full control on several areas, and were able to impose a cordon around the armed groups in Tripoli.
Meanwhile, the Government of National Accord (GNA) forces are trying to take back Tripoli Airport, according to Mahjoub.
He claimed the GNA forces have suffered heavy losses and that the national army aims to eliminate “terrorists and militias” in Tripoli, and not just to control the city.
The fighting continues between the two rival forces of the GNA and LNA in the capital, as the LNA lead by Commander Khalifa Haftar announced an offensive against Tripoli, the seat of the GNA, on April 4, with the aim of “liberating the city from militants.”
Earlier this week, the World Health Organization said the battle of Tripoli saw more than 430 people killed and up to 2,110 others wounded, while displacing over 55,000.