LibyaPolitics

Tripoli war ‘appropriate’ for return of ISIS: Sarraj

The war in Tripoli creates an additional challenge for Libya because it represents an appropriate ground for the return of ISIS and other terrorist organizations, Prime Minister of the Government of National Accord (GNA) Faiez al-Sarraj said Monday.

“We are well aware that there is no military solution to the conflict in Libya, and that there is no winner from the conflict. There is one loser, Libya,” Sarraj said in his speech at the extraordinary African summit in Nigerian Capital Niamey.

Earlier, reports claimed that terrorists from the Syrian town of Idlib are being transferred to escalate the conflict in Libya with Turkish help to fight in the ranks of the GNA.

Sarraj criticized the Libyan National Army (LNA), calling for backing the initiative he had put forward on June 16.

In a TV speech June 16, Sarraj presented the initiative to break the crisis in the country by holding a Libyan forum in coordination with the U.N. Support Mission in Libya, with the representation of all national forces to agree on a peaceful and democratic solution.

Previously, Sarraj told Reuters that he was not prepared to sit with LNA commander Khalifa Hafer to negotiate an end to the attack on Tripoli that started in early April. 

“I will never meet Hafter again … because he proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he cannot be a partner in any political process,” the prime minister said.

Meanwhile, Haftar revealed to Bloomberg his readiness for any political initiative to solve the crisis in Libya as long as Sarraj is not part of it.

“[Sarraj] can’t make his own decisions and says nothing that’s not dictated to him. It’s not worth the trouble of paying attention to Sarraj or answering him because our time is valuable,” Haftar said.

Tags

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close